Industrial has been around for 20+ years as a digital web agency with roots in Ottawa, but now operating fully remote from anywhere in Canada. We design and build powerful websites using WordPress, Drupal and WooCommerce for associations: membership-based organizations and nonprofits. Associations provide services and benefits to a specific group, profession, or community. Nearly every industry you can think of has an active association, so our reach is vast and diverse. For example, we have a customer who acts as a voice for renewable energy and storage solutions to power Canada's future and another who is at the heart of better care for pets and their people, through the accreditation of companion animal veterinary hospitals in North America.
Industrial collaborates very closely with its sister company Wicket, tightly integrating the web solutions we build with Wicket’s platform. Wicket is a growing SaaS startup and is building the world's first Member Data Platform (MDP), laser-focused on North America’s association sector.
Industrial is looking for an experienced technical leader to join our team. As Team Lead - Web Development, you'll play a significant role in guiding our technical direction, cultivating a cohesive team, and fostering a high-performance environment. We’re passionate about diversity, learning and collaboration, and we hope you are too.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, you will be responsible for managing our team of web developers, offering coaching and support, defining technical direction and architecture of projects, setting overall tech strategies for the agency, and supporting business development efforts - alongside Wicket - by providing sound technical advice for proposed solutions to Industrial customers.
Responsibilities of this senior role:
- Leadership - establish an Agile culture that embraces challenges
- Work with developers to architect solutions that meet the customer’s expectations on WordPress and WooCommerce projects
- Define hosting and infrastructure strategies best suited to Industrial’s customers and development strategy
- Operationalize the support for the web solutions we build using metrics, system and application monitoring, optimize performance, and maximize customer value
- Assess the technical capabilities of other systems and devise integration approaches
- Oversee subcontractors and partners to provide technical guidance and support
- Write technical descriptions of solutions in project proposals and functional specifications
- Review customer’s scope documentation to devise technical solutions and provide estimates
- Attend pitch presentations with prospective customers to present the technical approach and answer questions
- Support Project Managers in resource allocation and planning
- Coach developers in technical matters and career development
- Hold bi-weekly 1-on-1 sessions and quarterly performance reviews with direct reports
Technical knowledge requirements:
- Strong background as a generalist web developer
- Track record of work with LAMP stack is a must; more specifically PHP and MySQL applications
- Experience with and a solid understanding of WordPress CMS architecture
- Experience with WooCommerce or other eCommerce platforms
- Excellent understanding of web technologies, protocols and systems (i.e. HTTP, REST, APIs, JSON, CMSs, CRMs, Mobile Web, etc.)
- Experience building integrations is an asset
- Experience as a solutions architect is an asset
Desirable soft skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks at once
- Good listener and problem solver
- Empathetic with customer’s problems
- Analytical thinker and decisive
What we offer:
- An opportunity to work on exciting technology projects
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits package with coverage of prescription drugs, dental, paramedical and other wellness services
- Equal opportunity employer who prioritizes diversity and inclusion
- Awesome culture and growing team that has been around for over 20 years!
- Certified Great Place to Work in 2021
- +86 Employee Net Promoter Score
- Paid vacation time, paid personal “life leave” and your birthday off
- An annual stipend to spend on books, courses, workshops, etc. to advance professional learning
- Lots of opportunity for employee engagement through our retrospectives, one-on-ones, quarterly performance reviews and peer-to-peer recognition
- Free coffee shipped to your home on a monthly basis
- We love dogs, trivia, and wine/beers/soda on Friday
We are accepting applications for remote workers from anywhere in Canada.
When you apply please provide a cover letter clearly explaining how your background is a good fit for this position.
Industrial is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.